In celebration of World Snake Day on July 16, we’re taking a look at some of the most interesting facts about these often misunderstood creatures. From their vital role in ecosystems around the globe to their unique physical characteristics, snakes are truly amazing creatures.
What is World Snake Day?
World Snake Day is an annual event that celebrates the humble snake. It is observed on July 16 and was created to promote the conservation of these often misunderstood creatures. Snakes play an essential role in the ecosystem and are found on every continent except Antarctica. Sadly, many species are now endangered due to habitat loss, hunting, and the illegal wildlife trade. World Snake day is a great opportunity to learn more about these amazing reptiles and what we can do to help protect them.
Australian Snakes: Myths Busted!
Snakes have a bad reputation because many people lack an understanding of their natural behaviour. So, let’s take a look at some common misconceptions.
Myth #1: Snakes are aggressive and want to bite.
They are actually quite shy creatures. Their instinct is to get away from us, not to attack us. They view humans as predators, not prey. They bite only out of self-defence. They are not even territorial. They have no inherently aggressive characteristics. They will only bite if they feel trapped or threatened.
Myth #2: Snakes hate humans.
It’s fun to imagine a group of snakes plotting against the human race. But they don’t have the mental capacity to dislike us. They’d prefer not to be near us, because we are big, clumsy creatures, and we honestly frighten them.
Myth #3: Snakes are slimy and dirty.
On the contrary, snakes are very clean creatures. Most of them have dry skin, rather than slimy.
Why Snakes are Important
There are many reasons why snakes are important, not just in the wild, but also in our homes and gardens. Snakes play an important role in the ecosystem by controlling populations of rodents and other small mammals. This helps to prevent the spread of diseases that these animals can carry.
Snakes are also popular pets, and many people enjoy keeping them as companions. They can make fascinating and low-maintenance pets, and there are many species to choose from.
How to Celebrate World Snake Day
If you’re a fan of snakes, then World Snake Day is the perfect opportunity to celebrate your favourite reptiles! Here are some ideas on how to celebrate:
• Learn more about snakes. Take some time to read up on snake species from around the world, their habitats, and behaviours.
• Share your love of snakes with others. Why not write a blog post or make a video about your favourite snakes? Or, if you’re feeling brave, give a presentation on snakes to your classmates or colleagues!
• Get outside and appreciate snakes in their natural habitat. Go for a hike in snake country and keep your eyes peeled for these amazing reptiles. If you’re lucky enough to spot one, take some time to observe it and appreciate its beauty.
• Support snake conservation efforts. Many organisations are working to protect snakes and their habitats, so consider donating to or volunteering with one of these groups.
• Make someone’s day by buying them a snake-related gift! Whether it’s a book about snakes, a plush toy snake, or even snake-themed jewellery, there are plenty of options out there for the snake lover in your life.
Come celebrate World Snake day with us at Reptile Encounters. Get up close and personal with Australia’s native snakes. It’s fun, educational, and a perfect way to show your appreciation for these amazing reptiles.